345 East Riverside Drive
St. George, UT 84790
This is a historic schoolhouse that has been restored and is open to the public. The old schoolhouse holds fond memories for those who received some or all of their education there. It functioned as a school, church, dance hall, and a town meeting place. People came from miles around to attend dances and listen to music played by local musicians, which were their main sources of entertainment. The first schooling in the area took place in the home of one of the local residents. In order to accommodate a growing student body, a modest schoolhouse was built. Soon it became too small and was moved to make room for the existing building, which was completed in 1922 and continued to be used until 1966.
Map + Directions
From Fredonia, AZ: Travel 8 miles west on State Highway 389 to its intersection with Toroweap Rd. (County 109). Follow Toroweap Rd. southwest about 38 miles to its intersection with County Rd. 5. Continue south 6 miles on County Rd. 115. Bear right, and continue 7 miles east on County 5 to Nixon Flat, a large, open meadow at the foot of Mt. Trumbull.